Tuesday, January 1, 2008

Msgr. Braun, r.i.p.

The last time I saw him was Memorial Day 1985 at Resurrection Cemetery near Whitesville, Ky. A gang of priests was moving about the grounds praying for the dead. Msgr. Peter J. Braun was there but standing by himself in the parking lot: too old, too feeble, I figured, to join the others. He prayed the Rosary with them. He was the only one wearing a biretta.

Msgr. Braun was always Monsignor to his face, but he was Father Brown elsewhere in Ss. Joseph and Paul parish, where his was a name which brought quick change in tone to any querulous state in the life of faith. The Josephinum Newsletter tells me he died in November. Blessed be God in His angels and in His saints.

I did not greet Msgr. Braun that day in the cemetery. It would not have been proper to interrupt his Rosary. Woe betide me if I had. The feelings are familiar in the human condition: approach-avoidance. In the bustle of the aftermath, I thought no, he wouldn’t remember me.

Oh, but I remember him; indeed have kept up with the news of the whereabouts and well being of my former pastor during the years. Now, my inquiries are at an end.

I suppose I should be ashamed of myself for not making the effort to be personal in my attachment to Msgr. Braun. He was a human being with feelings. But there was no particular reason for him to have an interest in me. “I think you have a vocation,” he told me once. But he was wrong. I was just another kid in the parish.

It was a Sunday morning in the late 1950s. I was one of the servers for the Mass that morning. Father Brown was late and Father Brown was never even slightly late. I recall the news hitting the sacristy in the businesslike tension of the substitute priest. I looked out the sacristy door toward the rectory where no one stirred outside, but where inside I suspected Father Brown lay dying.

He had been overweight and a smoker. The post-heart-attack man emerged an exemplary model of health. If he had slowed, his pace belied it. He became a brisk walker and came to be joined later by a small pet dog.

I knew him to be a genial man but with bearing and reserve. That did not mean he did not speak his mind plainly. His self-discipline was the butt of jokes; but no joke could pierce his essential trait. Msgr. Braun had dignity.

His love for each one made each one know there were others to love, too. His love meant very specific, deep and uncompromising things – not things fuzzy, superficial and maudlin. His notion of repentance had to do with unequivocal effort to change.

Let’s face it, Monsignor. Some people thought you were mean. Word was you sent more than one away from the confessional with his sins retained until you could discern some semblance of sorrow. Tongues wagged about that, and even more tongues would wag today, I suppose. They say Padre Pio sent some away, too.

You were one of a kind, even though you did have a twin brother. I ached for your loneliness, but I know you were every fiber the man God called you to be. Being one of the kids in your crowd, I was never intimidated by you. I never misunderstood where you were coming from. My fear was respect for you, even reverence.

I think of the example of your life only with gratitude. I am still blessed by your blessings. They went past the sign to the mystery of the truth. You were a man of God. – T.R.

written by Thomas A. Russell
first published in the
Lafayette Sunday Visitor on September 13th, 1987

4 comments:

Aric said...

Mr. Russell has mistaken himself before the end... he did, of course, have a personal vocation to sainthood... and who is to say that he has not had a personal hand in the salvation of others?

John R.P. Russell said...

When Msgr. Braun told my father, "I think you have a vocation," he meant a vocation to the priesthood. Such was the parlance among Catholics in the 1950s.

I wonder whether these words of Father Brown echoed in my father's ears as he went to seminary for the second time in 2003. He left again, remaining convinced ever after that he "was just another kid in the parish."

Sue said...

Mr. Russell,

Thank you for this posting. I am the granddaughter of Msgr. Braun's twin brother, Edward, and came across this while doing some genealogy research on my mom's side of the family. Uncle Pete, as we kids called him, was very special to us. It's nice to know that he was special to others, too! And it's fascinating to hear other descriptions and impressions of him - he had had his heart attack before I was born and so I never knew him as a smoker or as overweight. His twin should have heeded the warning; my grandfather died not many years after that time in the 1950s you describe of a massive heart attack himself, in 1964.

We were always also somewhat in awe of him; after all, he was a priest! And he could be quite stern and didn't put up with any nonsense. But we were allowed some glimpses behind that reserve; he and my grandfather, who were amazingly identical, down to the voice, took delight in switching places and seeing how long it would take before we realized they had done so! He always had time for his brother's children and grandchildren, and I was always sad when it was time to put him back on the plane bound for Kentucky.

What a lovely thing it was to run across your post today. Thank you so much!

Sincerely,
Susan Henry Tanner (daughter of Marie Brown Henry)

John R.P. Russell said...

Susan Henry Tanner,

Unbelievably I did not encounter your comment until today. It was lost in an electronic folder for more than a year. I am grateful to finally have read it. Thank you so much for your comment and for your more intimate perspective on Msgr. Braun.

Popular Posts