Thursday, October 11, 2007

A vocation view

What do you think Jesus meant when He said, “Take up your cross and follow Me?”

Could it be that this is the question we skirt as we wrestle with the dilemma of our shortage of priests?

To be sure, we have to look elsewhere for the cause of this difficulty.
- We blame celibacy
- We figure there are plenty of fellows being called, but they’re too selfish to answer, or the world has them dazzled, or we commiserate with their rejection saying nobody could be expected to live such a life.
- We suspect the staid influences are gone. Home life isn’t supportive or sufficiently faithful. Our schools are full of lay teachers. Can any good come out of such a place?
- We boo the strident right-wingers and hiss the screaming liberals.
- We quietly harbor the notion that there’s something wrong with the Church.
Our focus has been on him and them and it and that and See! Here is the problem, or No! There it is. Perhaps we don’t want to look in the mirror and say, “What do I think Jesus meant when He said ‘take up your cross and follow Me?’”

No one can fathom the mystery of the Cross. But surely it meant for Jesus what it means for us. It means obedience.

Can we look out across our Church today and see a wide-spread hunger to do, not what I will, but the will of my Father, Who is in heaven?

Do I find myself saying to my children, “What do you think God wants you to be when you grow up?”

In these New Testament times, the people gather around the center of the Holy of Holies. The priest celebrates the Sacrifice made once and for all, and lifts up the Living God, giving Him into the very body and soul of the people He loves.

That is the cross of the New Testament priest. It begins by his taking it up the way Jesus did: with a simple yes, Thy will be done.

If I’m a butcher, a baker, or a candlestick maker, that is my cross. It is if my life is a showcase of the road not taken: not because I’m a dreamer or a vagabond, but because I have obeyed God.

Those He sends, He empowers. They will be nothing more, nor nothing less than what He would have them be. If I have been obedient, my meats will feed His people, my cakes will delight His people, my candlesticks will bear light to His people.

Brother Raphael, the story goes, was the gatekeeper at the monastery. Visitors always met him first and found in him a warm greeting, a ready listener and a sage counselor.

So valued and inspiring became Brother Raphael’s word, that the monks of the monastery began to seek him out, and his fame spread from the visitors to the area roundabout.

Raphael began leaving his gat and giving sermons and retreats. He published books and treatises and went abroad for lectures.

One day in the monastery chapter, Brother Raphael sat pondering the homilies he was to deliver a week from Sunday, when an old monk entered and knelt behind him.

The old monk, a denizen of his cell for 30 years, leaned forward and whispered a word in Raphael’s ear. “Phony,” he said.

Tears streamed down Raphael’s cheeks. He ran to the Abbot and fell to his knees before him and begged for the privilege to again be the gatekeeper.

It must be that if doing God’s will, of taking up my cross, came into vogue, then surely that would have an effect in many ways.

I suspect that when I turn away from the self will in my life, when I surrender my life completely and say not my will but Thine be done – then I will be doing what those who are called to the priesthood are asked to do. Then it may be that somewhere a bishop will place his hands on the head of a weak, surrendered deacon and empower him to lift up the Living God.
written by Thomas A. Russell in March of 1986

No comments:

Popular Posts